Australian Capital Territory energy concessions
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Government provides an energy concession and rebate to eligible customers with a view to help with the cost of energy bills.
The Utilities Concession is calculated on a daily basis with rates depending on the season. The annual
concession amount for 2019-2020 is $700.
The daily summer rate for the Utilities Concession is approximately 89.151 cents per day from 1 November to 31 May and the daily winter rate is approximately 333.987 cents per day from 1 June to 31 October. The Utilities Concession covers both electricity and gas but will be applied to the applicant’s electricity account only. Only one Utilities Concession per eligible household can be claimed.
To be eligible for this concession, you must hold one of the following current concession cards:
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card; or
- Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card; or
- Veteran Affairs Pensioner Concession Card; or
- Gold Card from the Department of Veteran Affairs (Prisoner of War, War Widow, Totally Permanently Incapacitated(TPI) Embossed)
Eligibility for the Utilities Concession also requires you to:
- Permanently reside in ACT at the address for which the relevant electricity account is held; and
- Be the customer whose name appears on the relevant electricity account; and
- Provide details of the concession card to the retailer.
Life Support Rebate
The Life Support Rebate is aimed at alleviating the financial stress of households with a member who uses an eligible life support machine. The rebate provides eligible individuals with an annual rebate amount which has been determined as $128 for 2019-2020. This will be applied to the eligible electricity bill as a daily rate of approximately 35.068 cents per day. Only one Life Support Rebate can be claimed per household.
To be eligible for this rebate you are required to provide the following on a yearly basis:
- a form signed by a medical practitioner which confirms that an individual of the household is required
to use any of these medical equipment:
- dialysis machine
- oxygen concentrator
- CPAP regulator
- longstay life support
- LS reference
- TPN device
- other apparatus subject to approval; and
- proof that the eligible individual resides in ACT at the address for which the relevant electricity account is held.
If you are a concession card holder with an eligible condition requiring medical heating and/or cooling, you may be entitled to the Life Support Rebate.
If you are eligible but not currently receiving the Life Support rebate, please speak to our award winning Customer Solutions team on 131 806, Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.30pm and Saturday 9.00am to 5.30pm AEST. For further information about Life Support protection, click here.
Non-Government or Community Assistance
We understand that sometimes we need a little help and not everyone is eligible for government assistance. Non-government or community assistance is generally available through a local community service provider, such as a community welfare organisation or financial counsellor. To locate a help centre near you, please visit National Debt Helpline.
Below is a list of some not for profit organisations you can contact to obtain more information on other assistance available to you.
Submit an eligible concession card today to receive energy concessions
Setting up Direct Debit is easy. Plus, with Red you won’t be charged any fees for paying by credit card.