Overview of the energy industry
Competition commenced in the retail electricity market in Victoria in 2002 and in South Australia in 2003, enabling customers to choose an electricity retailer. Prior to this, you could only buy electricity from one company which meant there was no retail competition and no choice between prices and services.
Gas competition was introduced on 1st October 2002 and now some retailers (like Red Energy) can provide you with both gas and electricity.
Red Energy currently sells electricity to residential and small business customers in Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia and gas to residential and small business customers in Victoria and parts of New South Wales. Red Energy sells electricity only in selected parts of Queensland.
The difference between a retailer and the network
Before retail competition a retail customer could only buy energy from one company. This company also managed the poles in your street and the infrastructure in your suburb. The industry is now split up into network providers and retailers:
Network providers own and manage the electricity poles and wires and gas pipes in the street that deliver electricity and gas to your home and are responsible for the quality and reliability of the supply.
Energy retailers sell electricity and gas to you and bill you for the service. Red Energy is an electricity and gas retailer.
Choosing an energy retailer
It’s important you feel that you have the best possible offer from your energy retailer.
A good checklist should be:
- Will I pay more if I want renewable or 100% green energy?
- Is my green energy derived from 100% renewable sources?
- Is my current retailer 100% Australian owned and operated?
- What rates am I being charged?
- Are there any exit fees associated with the offer?
- What special offers are available, along with discounts and concessions?
- How often will I be billed?
- Does the discount apply to the entire bill or only some charges?
- Are there any conditions attached to the discounts I receive?
- What payment options are available?
Red Energy complies with the National Energy Retail Law and Rules, the Energy Retail Code and all Guidelines issued by the Australian Energy Regulator and the Essential Services Commission of Victoria.
The following Energy Industry documents are available as PDF documents.
- Energy Retail Code v11
- Electricity Industry Guideline No. 13 – Greenhouse Gas Disclosure on Electricity Customers' Bills
For more information visit the Essential Services Commission’s website at www.esc.vic.gov.au.
South Australia / New South Wales / Australian Capital Territory / Queensland
New South Wales, South Australian, Australian Capital Territory and Queensland Customers - For more information visit the Australian Energy Regulator’s website at www.aer.gov.au
Power of choice
Read about the power of choice initiative.
Sales Assured Limited
Sales Assured Limited is an initiative designed to ensure the best practice in face to face marketing for customers in any industry.
Energy Industry Links
A handy list of links for distributors, government and more.